There are things that my children need to know about Grandparenting from my point of view!
1. I love it when you come to visit, just let me know you are coming, so that I don’t miss you!
2. You are the parents, it is your duty to make sure that the children behave the same way that they would at home, I will not usurp your rights as the parents to make decisions regarding your children.
3. There are some rules at Grammie’s house that are different than at home, I will make sure that you (the parents’) are aware of them and I expect that you will let your children know that there is a difference. We (the grandbabies & parents) will clean up the toy room before we leave.
4. Grammie’s favorite pastime is spending her time with her children and grandchildren. We love to hear what’s new from the mouths of the little ones, we delight when they make a new discovery and want to share it with us.
5. Grammies love to have the little ones tell us their stories. If you have heard it a thousand times, go and have a cup of coffee or tea and let Grammie hear the story without interruptions.
6. Grammies will not interfere with the parenting styles of her children. We did raise you to the best if our ability and the fact that you are coming to visit let’s us know we didn’t do too bad a job.
7. Grammies will cook and clean for the “family” and share special moments. It is the visits between the special moments that delight us the most.
8. Grammies who are “connected” with the Internet, love to get pictures of the kiddies playing, singing, dancing and all that good stuff. If we can’t see it in person, a picture sure helps us to enjoy whatever activities the kiddies are up to.
9. Grammies can hold a child on their laps for inordinate amounts of time. We listen to stories and tell stories. We share whenever we get the chance.
10. Grammies know about the hard times that parent’s are going through. We were once parent’s ourselves and many of the hardships you face, we faced as well.
11. We will as grandparents always look out for our grandchildren, we will do everything in our power to stay connected to the young ones and hopefully build a bond that is loving, respectful and strong.
12. As long as our health allows us, we will play with our grandchildren. It is our reward for a long life and our chance to share with them our family history.
This is just a short list of some things this Grammie has on her mind. There are many more things she would like to share with parents, but that is for another time……..
Just remember that whatever you do with your family, let it be rooted in love for them and the path will be clear to build relationships that endure for a lifetime. We love you dearly, all of you.